Saturday, November 9, 2013

Week 2


 Breastfeeding


     This week’s readings focused on public health topics that affect children’s development in different areas around the world. I chose the public heath topic of breastfeeding. I chose breastfeeding because I know the many benefits it provides a child’s development, and I am currently breastfeeding my 8 week old son. I also breastfed my toddler until he was 17 months and feel this is a significant reason why he is so healthy. I researched breastfeeding in Australia to study their recommendations and rates of occurrence over the years. The Australian Breastfeeding Association recommends women exclusively breastfeed for 6 months, then continue to breastfeed along with food until 2 years and beyond. Australians are unfortunately seeing a decrease in breastfeeding.  “Statistics from the 2010 Australian National Infant Feeding Survey indicate that 96% of mothers initiate breastfeeding. Thereafter, exclusive breastfeeding rates drop off. Less than half (39%) of babies are still being exclusively breastfed to 3 months (less than 4 months) and less than one quarter (15%) to 5 months (less than 6 months)” (Australian Breastfeeding Association, 2013). The Australian Breastfeeding Association explains all of the benefits to the child when breastfeeding takes place such as infection rate decrease, antibodies increased, more efficient immune system, along with benefits for the mother (less risk of breast cancer). My research on breastfeeding in other countries may not impact my future work as a public kindergarten teacher but it reinforces my strong belief and desire to nurse my own children.
 


Australian Breastfeeding Association. (2013). Breastfeeding Rates in Australia.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Staci,
    Breast feeding is such an informative topic. I don't have children of my own and I was also adopted at six weeks. Because of this I really haven't put a lot of though into breast feeding. After completing this weeks reading I have really learned a lot about the benefits of breast feeding. The health benefits alone would persuade me to do it. It's interesting that Australia's breast feeding rate is decreasing. I wonder what they attribute that to? Thank so much for the post!

    -Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Staci,
    I also choose breastfeeding as my topic this week, I shared a little about my own experiance when my son was a baby. I found that if was hard to breastfeed in public because people didnt always seem to be as accepting to the idea of it. I did manage to do it for 1 month but I wish I would have a least done if for 6 months for the help benefits associated with it.

    ReplyDelete