Saturday, February 11, 2017

Week 5

Week 5

I had a disagreement with a colleague about whether or not our early childhood building should get rid of our classroom play kitchens. I felt that the play kitchen area was developmentally appropriate and critical for young children to learn from.  She felt it was a waste of time and took too much space in her room. She did not see the importance of keeping it in her classroom and wanted everyone in the building to get rid of theirs. Two strategies I have learned that might have helped manage the conflict were the cooperative strategies, compromising and collaborating. “In a compromise, the goal is to find the “middle ground” between two positions. Each party gains something but also gives up something” (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p. 232). My colleague and I could find a middle ground by compromising on the amount of kitchen items in our classroom and the allotted time set aside for this type of play. “To reach a truly win-win solution, in which both parties end up fully satisfied with the outcome, requires the collaborating style. Collaborators are problem solvers who creatively work towards finding ways to meet the goals of both parties” (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p. 232). My colleague and I could both win the conflict by each of us doing what we felt is right. I could keep my kitchen area and free choice time and she could get rid of her kitchen area and her free choice time. In the end the conflict really did end up this way.  Reflecting on the conflict, knowing what I do now, it may have gone smoother if I had focused on how I was communicating with her. In retrospect I think my body language and facial expressions may have put her on the defensive.  While I am glad it worked out, my new knowledge sure could have shortened the process and caused less tension.

References

O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J.  (2015). Real communication (3rd. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post this week. It goes to show that there can be compromise in certain situations where both people feel as though they are right. Seeing that you both were able to come to agreement that you were going to use the "play kitchens" at your own time. That shows an extreme amount of responsibility and humility to work together to find an agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci,
    This is a great example of how two people can see things in such different lights. I agree with you! Kitchens are wonderful for pretend play in preschool settings and can foster social skills, creativity, role playing, responsibilities (cleaning up!) and vocabulary. Not to mention, they're fun! I think your idea of compromising is great! I hope it works out and you're able to keep your kitchen area and free choice time!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete