Saturday, May 20, 2017

Week 2- Creating Affirming Environments


Creating Affirming Environments

Creating a warm, safe, diverse, loving, and positive environment is important for all anti-bias classrooms. In such settings children can strive to their fullest potential. They will be afforded the opportunity to flourish in a developmentally appropriate environment that promotes the success of all children.  “Children must feel safe, loved, and nurtured to develop the basic trust they need for healthy development” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 52).  Careful consideration of the physical environment is the first step to making sure the set-up is done well. The learning environment is a critical factor and can be intentionally prepared to help support healthy development" (The Center for Early Childhood Education, 2017, para. 1).
Reflecting on the resources this week that focused on anti-bias classroom environments I would begin developing my own Family Child Care Home by creating a space with visuals. The visuals would display diversity within individuals and families such as posters, pictures, environmental print, books, and artwork. Having such a diverse visual selection allows all children to feel welcomed and accepted.  “An anti-bias environment is also culturally consistent for the children and families it currently serves” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 43).  In the beginning of the school year I ask for families to send in a picture of the child and his/her family. I enjoy displaying this in my classroom to showcase each child and his/her family structure. During sharing time I allow children an opportunity to discuss their picture. When it is around the holidays and we discuss traditions, I again ask for families to send something in to showcase their family traditions. Along with diverse visuals in my classroom I would incorporate diverse learning materials for my students. Diverse items in my classroom would include dramatic play materials and dolls, toys and puzzles, games, art materials, manipulatives, and books. Diverse learning materials allow children to see that there are many different kinds of people and families. “In addition, to seeing themselves in their learning environment, children also need materials that honor diversity both within and beyond their own identity groups” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.43). As discussed in Adriana’s media segment I would incorporate a “safe area” for students to go when they need time to relax, become comfortable, and get ready for the day. Having this area in my classroom will let students know they are accepted at all times. Also as discussed in Adriana’s media segment, I would like to incorporate pictures of my students at eye level and have a cultural center/area that changes periodically. I would ask to families that are willing, to bring items in that represent their family and cultural background. I would leave this up for awhile for the children to see. This provides a chance for each student to feel that his/her family and culture are special and honored within their classroom community. In my Anti-bias education setting I would also include diverse anti-bias curriculum. “The ideas for anti-bias education curriculum can come from children’s questions, interest, and teachable moments” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.47).  Using a diverse anti-bias curriculum in the classroom setting provides children with the message that all children and families are valued and respected.  In my setting, I also believe the connection with families is very important. This shows children we are a team that works together for their success.  As stated in the segment, Anti-Bias Education in a Family Child Care Home, “Family child care becomes like a second home to the children, which in turn fosters community among families” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.54).  
I found this year I needed to create and purchase more diverse learning materials and visuals. My kindergarten classroom is very diverse and I wanted my room to reflect this. My principal was very encouraging and helped support me in doing this. During my fall conferences I had a parent comment on my diverse classroom and thank me for celebrating the Chinese culture. I am excited to add new things in my room and new strategies after this week’s discussions. “Relationships and interactions with children and families, the visual and material environment, and the daily curriculum all come together to create the anti-bias learning community” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.51).


References

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Welcome to an anti-bias learning community. Baltimore, MD: Author

The Center for Early Childhood Education. (2017). Classroom environment. Retrieved from http://www.easternct.edu/cece/classroom-environment/

2 comments:

  1. Staci,

    I enjoyed reading your post. It seems like we share the same thoughts about providing visuals within the classroom. In fact, I think visuals are also a form of encouragement because if a child see a picture that reflects an unfamiliar culture or diversity. They begin to explore by askin questions or even showing concerns. Excellent Post !

    Courtney Woolford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci, awesome blog post! I absolutely love how you let your students bring in pictures of them and their families from home and share them with the class! I think that show and tell is becoming obsolete in early childhood classrooms. Also, you're right! Visuals are important when dealing with children, this is why I chose to include artwork on the walls of my facility that is kid friendly, such as things that are brightly colored.

    ReplyDelete