Saturday, May 27, 2017

Week 3- Observing Communication

Week 3 Observing Communication

For my observation, I had the opportunity to watch an interaction between a caregiver and a toddler. This interaction took place in an in-home setting. The toddler was speaking around two to three words in a sentence to communicate with the caregiver. I observed a play situation where the toddler was playing with little people, animals, and a play farm structure. The caregiver was sitting with the toddler playing too. During my observation I noticed the caregiver repeating sentences back to the toddler, going slow, and being respectful of the toddler. She was not answering everything for the toddler but instead asked questions and pointed out attributes of the objects they were playing with. I learned through this observation that the toddler was very engaged with the caregiver and seemed willing to communicate readily.
Reflecting on what I observed and the effective communication strategies presented in this week’s learning resources I found that the caregiver was really connecting with the toddler and helping her grow emotionally and cognitively. The caregiver was “calling the toddler by her name, speaking directly to the toddler, and pointing out objects to the toddler” (Kovach & Da Ros-Voseles, 2011, p. 3) as discussed in the article, Communicating with Babies. I also found the caregiver not rushing the play that was taking place. In the media segment, Lisa Kolbeck discussed how the world around us goes so fast that as teachers we need to remember to go slow and be respective to the child’s ideas and play. We need to remember to let them feel their ideas, feel grounded in themselves, feel heard, and understood. I believe by doing this it will allow the child to explore and strengthen his/her self-worth. I also found the caregiver not answering all the questions for the toddler. She was giving her time to reflect on her own and answer. “As teachers we need to question our language in terms of the context it provides for children’s thinking” (Rainer & Durden, 2010, p.2). In the article, The Nature of Teacher Talk during Small Group Activities, the authors mentioned the importance of language and questioning to promote children’s critical thinking. It was very encouraging to see the caregiver doing this in the play interaction. Analyzing my observation I think that bringing in another child to help and work on social conversation and turn taking would make the communication more affirming and effective. Overall, I felt the caregiver did a nice job and I found many connections to this week’s learning resources.  
My thoughts in regards to how the communication interaction I observed may have affected the child’s feelings and/or any influences it had on the child’s sense of self-worth were that it was a positive experience. The caregiver validated the child’s remarks, used questioning to encourage conversation, and gave affirmation when needed. The child was smiling, talkative, and engaged the entire time. She wanted the caregiver to play with her, which to me suggested that she was comfortable with her. I also noticed body proximity. The child was next to the caregiver and gave her a lot of eye contact. On occasion, the caregiver patted the child’s back which was a silent way to show affirmation.
The adult-child communication I observed this week compares to the ways in which I communicate with children because the interaction was child-centered. Both the caregiver and I use a reciprocal style that uses prompting, questioning, and affirmation.  Reflecting on how I talk and listen to young children in my kindergarten classroom leaves me frustrated though. Since my undergraduate degree is in child development, I have been trained how to talk and listen to young children.  I learned all the strategies and techniques to promote self-worth and emotional well-being. I know their importance and fully believe in them. In addition, this Master’s Program has taught me many ways to use an anti-bias approach to teaching and communicating.  My frustration lies with time constraints. I have twenty-five, five-year-olds in my classroom. Young children love to talk! Since I have the added pressure of academic achievement too, I feel a constant tug of war between the importance of listening and talking to the children with their academic growth I am evaluated on. I feel as if I have to cut short some of the conversations my students initiate because time does not stand still. I feel I know how to communicate, but need to learn how to do it effectively with limited time. “Classroom talk is frequently limited and is used to check comprehension rather than develop thinking” (Fisher & Frey & Rotherenburg, 2017, para. 12). My goal is to improve upon this.



References
Fisher, D., & Frey, N., & Rotherenburg, C. (2017). Conent-area conversations. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Why-Talk-Is-Important-in-Classrooms.aspx

Kovach, B., & Da Ros-Voseles, D. (2011). Communicating with babies. YC: Young Children, 66(2), 48-50. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database. http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=60001533&site=ehost-live&scope=site

Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Communicating with young children. Baltimore, MD: Author

Rainer Dangei, J., & Durden, T. R. (2010). The nature of teacher talk during small group activities. YC: Young Children, 65(1), 74-81. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database. http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=47964033&site=ehost-live&scope=site

Stephenson, A. (2009). Conversations with a 2-year-old. YC: Young Children, 64(2), 90-95. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database. http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=37131016&site=ehost-live&scope=site

1 comment:

  1. Staci, awesome post! It is very in depth! It's great to hear that the caregiver was interacting with the child you observed in his or her own time and not rushing them. I feel as if that is one thing that we fail to realize working with children in general. Children learn at a slower pace than we would like them to sometimes. I think it's great how the caregiver also repeated back the sentences to the child so that she had a good understanding of what was being said. I also think that this kind of behavior establishes good dialogue.

    ReplyDelete