Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Week 8

Week 8

Three deeply felt learnings that I gained from this program are becoming an anti-bias educator, communication styles, and advocating for all students. I learned how important being an anti-bias educator is. This program has taught me about self-awareness. I also gained the importance of teaching awareness. I believe that teaching awareness first will allow children to have acceptance and become understanding. “Early childhood teachers want children to feel powerful and competent” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 3). During the program, I have set a goal for myself to teach students awareness about diversity to help them become accepting and understanding. In addition, I want to encourage my students to stand up for themselves and others. This program has taught me the importance of supporting children with varying abilities along with racial and ethnic diversity. As early childhood professionals, we need to teach and guide all children as they build their own identities. “Young children need caring adults to help them construct a positive sense of self and a respectful understanding of others” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 11). Becoming an anti-bias educator has encouraged me to embed diversity in my everyday classroom environment, curriculum, and to discuss differences to teach awareness to then open doors for acceptance and understanding. “The heart of anti-bias work is a vision of a world in which all children are able to blossom, and each child’s particular abilities and gifts are able to flourish” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 2). Children cannot thrive in an environment where they feel like an outsider. It is now my goal and passion to create this environment for students in my classroom and their families. Providing students with an anti-bias classroom will, “empower them by giving them the tools to foster confident and knowledgeable self- identities, empathetic interactions, critical thinking skills, and activism” (Lesley University, n.d., para. 3). This program has also taught me how to use effective communication styles. I learned the significance of all communication styles but most importantly non-verbal communication. As an early childhood professional, I communicate with children, families, and colleagues on a daily basis. It is important that I know how to be an effective communicator. "Communication is a complex and dynamic process. It is "the process by which individuals use symbols, signs, and behaviors to exchange information" (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p. 4).  This program has taught me there are many skills that can help improve communication and fix miscommunication.  Collaborating/building trust, using productive conflict resolution when an issue arises, hold off judgment to avoid misunderstandings, and continue to communicate are all ways to positively impact communication interactions. I am now mindful of how I approach communication interactions so that misunderstandings and/or unproductive conflicts do not arise. With my new communication styles and insight, I feel strongly that I can foster healthy relationships in all areas of my life. This Master’s Program also taught me the importance of advocating for all children and families. To be an advocate for positive social change in the early childhood field, I believe my role is to touch children's lives through encouragement, positive reinforcement, and by providing a safe environment where learners can flourish. I believe that it is essential to build a successful classroom on a solid foundation and focus on the whole child. I believe that all children have the ability to learn and that as a teacher it is my responsibility to find the best way to teach and motivate them. I am a dedicated early childhood professional who will continually advocate for all my students.
A long-term goal is to continually self-reflect about my own biases and be more aware of them. “Ultimately, the most important thing we bring to our teaching is who we are. Deepening our understanding of who we are now and how we came to be that person is at the heart of becoming a strong anti-bias teacher” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 22). I have always looked outward toward my students and families as my focus and now know the importance of looking inward first. Knowing how I have become who I am has been enlightening. I never related my background to me as a teacher of young children. I now know some of my life experiences both controlled and uncontrolled that have shaped me.
I would like to thank Dr. E and all my colleagues for sharing experiences, beliefs, and opinions during this eight-week course. Dr. E you have been very supportive and helpful. Your guidance has been appreciated and valued. Your interest in my Capstone Project topic increased my motivation to make it the best possible. I have enjoyed getting to know all my colleagues through blogs and discussion board postings.  Your professionalism and commitment to the early childhood field is evident. Reading your blogs and discussions encouraged me to reflect on the course materials along with my own personal experiences. Thank you for allowing me to learn alongside you during this course. I wish you all the best of luck in your early childhood professional career!



References
Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

Lesley University. (n.d.). Anti-bias education- teaching young children to understand and accept differences. Retrieved from http://www.lesley.edu/teaching-young-children-to-understand-and-accept-differences/

O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J.  (2015). Real communication (3rd. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Staci,

    It was a pleasure to meet each and everyone of you. I hope that you will meet all the goals you have set in life and I encourage you to never give up regardless of challenges that might come your way. I look forward to hearing about your future endeavors. I hope that I can see you at graduation in January but if not here is my contact information. We did it! We persevered till the end, thank you again for all the support and encouraging words.
    Iris Carter
    iriscarter55@gmail.com
    You can imagine it, You can achieve it, You can dream it,You can become it.–William Arthur Ward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Staci,
    Well stated. I enjoyed reading your blog, regarding what you have learned throughout this course. While reading your blog, I can truly say that we have learned a lot of important aspects about children and families within the early childhood program. Also through reading your blog, I noticed how you mentioned some interesting points regarding the identities of children and families. As you stated, "Becoming an anti-bias educator has encouraged me to embed diversity in my everyday classroom environment, curriculum, and to discuss differences to teach awareness to then open doors for acceptance and understanding". I absolutely agree with your statement because as teachers it is important that we accept children and families from different aspects of life.
    Once again I enjoyed reading your blog in regards to what you have learned throughout this course.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci,

    I could not agree with you more about the importance of self-reflection. This course has taught me to look in the mirror and know that I am also imperfect. If I want to teach anti-bias education, I need to work on myself first then I can bring the best of myself to the profession. I have enjoyed interacting with you throughout this Master’s program as I felt that your comments were sincere and really helped me to understand the material. I wish you the very best and hope to meet you at graduation!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete