Saturday, January 21, 2017

Week 2 Communication Skills

Week 2-Communication Skills

The episode of television that I normally do not watch is the Vikings. My husband has this show recorded. I did watch an episode with the sound turned off and noticed several different communication skills and styles. I think the characters’ relationships seem to be constructed on a hierarchy based on the ways in which they were communicating. The nonverbal communication of passive and submissive behavior of lower ranked characters was evident. As slaves/workers were standing alongside the dinner table, they had their hands behind their backs and no facial expressions. The other characters at the table did not stand that way and had facial expressions. It seems as if some of the women in the episode were submissive too. Not all of the women seemed this way since the Queen was the ruler. The women that I did notice had no facial expressions and stood very still next to the men. Based on the nonverbal behavior I was observing, it seemed as if the characters were feeling intense and passionate for what they believed in and each other. There seemed to be a lot of fighting and sexual interactions in the episode I watched.
                After watching the show with the sound turned off, I watched the same show with the sound turned on. The assumptions I made about the characters and plot based on the nonverbal communication while observing the show without sound seemed to be accurate. The nonverbal communication I believe was effective. The characters were able to get their point across using this communication skill and it was evident to the viewers. The relationships based on hierarchy were very intense, and passionate. My assumptions would not have been any more correct if I had been watching a show I know well, but I would have known more details about why some of the interactions were happening the way they did. It would be interesting to watch a show that I know well but a new episode without sound first to see if I could follow along and understand the plot.
                This activity was another great way of exploring communication. During this assignment, I found how powerful nonverbal communication can truly be. It can tell a story all by itself really! “You communicate nonverbally when you convey a message without using any words. But you also communicate nonverbally when you use nonverbal behaviors in addition to words: when you smile, frown, or gesture as you speak or when you use a particular tone of volume while talking (Giles & LePoire, 2006)” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p.94) This assignment along with the others has made me much more aware of my own communication style and my interactions with others.

References

O'Hair, D., Friedrich, G. W., & Dixon, L. D. (2011). Strategic communication in business and the professions. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

3 comments:

  1. Staci,
    I found it very interesting that you were able to tell the characters' roles by whether or not their nonverbal behaviors were submissive in nature or portrayed power. It is so true that watching silently creates a story in itself, whether that story is completely in line with the actual intended plot or not. When I watched an unfamiliar show, I also found that I could tell a lot about the characters' personalities simply by watching their movements, facial expressions and how they behaved towards each other. Thank you for sharing your observations!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vikings is a show that I also am interested in and I watch it every week. I have been watching it since season one and I have been hooked ever since. It was cool reading all of the different communication skills that you observed watching with sound and without sound. When I was watching Chicago PD, I could tell alot about different characters personalities just by watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,
    Thank you for your response. I had never done this before and found it very interesting. I think I may try it with a show I already know and see if there is a difference.

    Staci

    ReplyDelete