Saturday, January 14, 2017

Week 1 Effective Communication


Week 1- Effective Communication

     Reflecting on this week’s resources and assignments of effective and ineffective communication skills, the first person I think of who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context is my mother. She is a first-grade teacher and a mentor to university teacher interns. I have always looked up to her. She is a phenomenal person and professional. She has a passion for children and is respectful of every person she meets regardless of any type of diversity.  I am lucky to teach in the same building as her and have watched her in action. When she communicates she exhibits confidence, intelligence, clear articulation, honesty, states facts in a non-judgmental way, empathizes, and is a good listener.  "Truthfulness, fairness, responsibility, personal integrity, and respect for self and others" (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p. 14) are always her first priorities when communicating with others. This is evident even in tough situations. She tries to put the receiver at ease. She lets families know that she is on their side and they can work as a team to help their children succeed. I have also witnessed interactions between her and university teacher interns. She mentors them as they learn how to become teachers. She teaches them how to communicate too. Our principal strategically places children in her classroom who have demanding parents because he knows she will be able to form a positive, healthy relationship with them. I am thankful I have her to learn from!

References

O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J.  (2015). Real communication (3rd. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

1 comment:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a life coach blogger. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Google+, +sridharchandrasekaran Twitter @lifecoachbloger

    ReplyDelete