Saturday, January 28, 2017

Week 3

Week 3

Reflecting on cultural diversity within my life and my surroundings, I don’t think that I communicate any differently with people from different groups of cultures. I am a firm believer that it doesn’t matter your cultural differences, everyone should be treated the same. Everyone deserves to be treated with kindness and respect. We are all humans with rights regardless of diversity. As an early childhood professional I have the opportunity to model this belief to colleagues, students, and their parents. Based on what I learned this week, three strategies I could use to help communicate more effectively with diverse people or groups are: the Platinum Rule, nonverbal communication, and cultural myopia. The Platinum Rule will help me communicate effectively by helping me become aware that an enlightened communicator needs to consider the other person’s perspective. When communicating, the involved participates need to put themselves in each other’s shoes. People want to feel understood, respected, and cared about. I believe it is not only what you say but also how you say it and what you look like conveying and receiving an intended message.   Nonverbal communication will help me communicate effectively. “You communicate nonverbally when you convey a message without using any words. But you also communicate nonverbally when you use nonverbal behaviors in addition to words: when you smile, frown, or gesture as you speak or when you use a particular tone of volume while talking (Giles & LePoire, 2006)” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p.94).  I find myself doing this as a teacher and parent. ”Our nonverbal behaviors can send powerful, unintended messages without us having much time to think through them (Capella & Greene, 1982)” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p.95). Lastly, I think being aware of cultural myopia will help me be an effective communicator by reminding me to be conscious of other cultures and diverse backgrounds. "If we suspend judgment, we can come to understand that what looks wrong from our personal perspective may look right to someone else" (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010, p.36).

References

Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.


O'Hair, D., Friedrich, G. W., & Dixon, L. D. (2011). Strategic communication in business and the professions. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

2 comments:

  1. As early childhood professionals, we should have an open mind when it comes to diversity, but, sadly, even in our field, not everyone thinks that way. Treating people with kindness and respect goes with your strategy of nonverbal communication and the facial expressions that you make after you hear something. Someone could be offended by it.

    Maggie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci,
    It's great that you are already incorporating the platinum rule and remaining open minded as a teacher! It is so true that understand what cultural myopia is can help us remain aware of how we perceive what others do and think. I have certainly been more vigilant lately with how I judge others at first glance. It is especially difficult to avoid cultural myopia when you are working so closely with young children and are invested in their health and education. I often find myself cringing at the way their parents or other teachers handle their behaviors, but I have been learning to let go and focus on the bigger picture and the fact that other ways of doing things are not necessarily wrong.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete